Search Our Inventory
Who We Are
Terms of Business
We are members of :
Washington Antiquarian Booksellers Association (WABA)
REFERENCE WORKS PERTAINING TO BRITISH AND NORTH AMERICAN LITERATURES
NORTH AMERICAN LITERATURE:
1. Anderson, John Q., ed.  Southwestern American literature, a bibliography. Edited by John Q. Anderson, Edwin W. Gaston, Jr., James W. Lee. Chicago, The Swallow Press, inc. . Green cloth. Fine in lightly rubbed dust jacket. First edition. 445 pp. (69828) $ 15.00
5. Bringhurst, Robert, comp.  Ocean paper stone, the catalogue of an exhibition of printed objects which chronicle more than a century of literary publishing in British Columbia. Vancouver, William Hoffer, 1984. Printed white wrappers. Front endpaper discolored, otherwise fine. First edition. 111 pp. Illustrated. Preface by William Hofer. One of 1250 copies. (69879) $ 15.00
6. Bruccoli, Matthew J., ed.  Bibliography of American fiction 1919-1988. Edited by Matthew J. Bruccoli and Judith S. Baughman. New York, Oxford, Facts on File . 2 vols. Blue cloth. Folio. Fine, without dust jackets, as issued. Vol. 1: A-M: James Agee to John P. Marquand, 319 pp.; Vol. 2: M-Z: Peter Matthiesen to Roger Zelazny , pp. 325-648 (69742) $ 25.00
10. Davey, Frank.  From here to there: a guide to English-Canadian literature since 1960. Erin, Press Porcepic, 1974. Illustrated yellow wrappers. Lightly rubbed and creased, otherwise very good. Second printing. 288 pp. Illustrated. Our Nature - Our Voices, Vol. II . (69880) $ 10.00
16. Gordan, John D.  First fruits, an exhibition of first editions of first books by American authors, from the Berg Collection. New York, New York Public Library . Yellow printed wrappers. Near fine. 25 pp. Reprint of the catalog of the exhibition first shown in 1951, in memory of Mr. Gordan who died March 10, 1968 (69793) $ 10.00
17. Gray, Richard.  The literature of memory: modern writers of the American South. Baltimore and London, Johns Hopkins University Press [c1977]. Brown cloth. Very good in lightly rubbed dust jacket. First edition. 377 pp. (69724) $ 10.00
20. Helterman, Jeffrey, ed.  American novelists since World War II. Edited by Jeffrey Helterman and Richard Layman. Detroit, Bruccoli Clark / Gale Research Company, 1978. Blue cloth. Folio. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 557 pp. Illustrated. Dictionary of Literary Biography, Vol. 2 (69737) $ 10.00
21. Hirschfelder, Arlene B.  American Indian and Eskimo authors, a comprehensive bibliography. New York, Association of American Indian Affairs . Illustrated white wrappers. Lightly soiled, otherwise very good. First edition. 99 pp. (69885) $ 15.00
22. Hoy, Helen.  Modern English-Canadian prose, a guide to information sources. Detroit, Gale Research Company . Blue and black cloth. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 605 pp. American Literature, English Literature and World Literatures in English Information Guide Series, vol. 38 (69589) $ 30.00
23. Kanellos, Nicolas, ed.  Biographical dictionary of Hispanic literature in the United States: the literature of Puerto Ricans, Cuban Americans, and other Hispanic writers. Westport, London, Greenwood Press . Coated orange paper boards. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. Fourth printing. 357 pp. (69867) $ 30.00
24. Karolides, Nicholas J.  The pioneer in the American novel 1900-1950. Norman, University of Oklahoma Press . Brown cloth. Fine in lightly rubbed and chipped dust jacket. First edition. 324 pp. (69614) $ 15.00
25. Kibler, James E., Jr., ed.  American novelists since World War II. Second series. Foreword by William Targ. Detroit, Gale Research Company, 1980. Blue cloth. Folio. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 404 pp. Illustrated. Dictionary of Literary Biography, Vol. 6. Includes Cumulative Index to Vols. 1-6 (69748) $ 25.00
27. Lewis, Tom.  Storied New Mexico: an annotated bibliography of novels with New Mexico settings. Albuquerque, University of New Mexico Press . Blue cloth. Corners lightly bumped, otherwise fine in fine dust jacket. First edition. 224 pp. Covers 1237 novels. (69733) $ 15.00
28.  Literary history of the United States. Third edition, revised. [Edited by] Robert E. Spiller, Willard Thorp, Thomas H. Johnson, Henry Seidel Canby, Richard M. Ludwig. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1963. 2 vols. Blue cloth. Near fine in soiled, sunned and chipped dust jackets. Vol. 1: History, 1511 pp. Vol. 2: Bibliography, 790 pp. with Supplement, 268 pp. (69732) $ 30.00
33. McPheron, William.  The bibliography of contemporary American fiction, 1945-1988: an annotated checklist [by] William McPheron and Jocelyn Sheppard. Westport, London] Meckler Publishing . Red cloth. First edition. 190 pp. Ex-library copy with stamps on front endpapers and title-page. (69701) $ 15.00
34. Nagel, James.  Bibliography of American fiction 1866-1918. Edited by James Nagel and Gwen L. Nagel. New York, Oxford, Facts of File . Blue cloth. Folio. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 412 pp. Facts on File Bibliography Series . (69743) $ 25.00
36. Paluka, Frank.  Iowa authors: a bio-bibliography of sixty native writers. Iowa City, Friends of The University of Iowa Libraries, 1967. Green printed wrappers. First few pages lightly creased and right corner, otherwise fine. First edition. 243 pp. (69705) $ 10.00
44. Tatum, Charles M.  Chicano literature. Boston, Twayne Publishers . Blue cloth. Ownership stamp on front endpaper, otherwise fine, without dust jacket. First edition. 214 pp. Twayne's United States Authors Series, TUSAS 433 (69872) $ 10.00
46. Wallace, W. Stewart, comp.  A dictionary of North American authors deceased before 1950. Detroit, Gale Research Company, 1968. Blue cloth. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. Reprint of the 1951 Ryerson edition. 525 pp. (69716) $ 15.00
51. Wright, Lyle H.   American fiction 1876-1900, a contribution toward a bibliography. San Marino, The Huntington Library, 1972. Blue cloth. Fine in unevenly sunned and rubbed dust jacket with a few short tears. Second printing. 683 pp. (69593) $ 15.00
BRITISH & IRISH LITERATURE
53. Aitken, W. R.  Scottish literature in English and Scots: a guide to information sources. Detroit, Gale Research Company . Blue and black cloth. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 421 pp. American Literature, English Literature, and World Literatures in English Information Guide Series, Vol. 37 (69877) $ 30.00
54.  Cambridge bibliography of English literature. Volume 4, 1800-1900. Third edition. Edited by Joanne Shattock. [Cambridge] Cambridge University Press . Blue cloth. Fine in fine dust jacket. 2995 pp. (69817) $ 75.00
56. Cox, Michael, ed.  The Oxford chronology of English literature. [Oxford] Oxford University Press . 2 vols. Folio. Quarter red leatherette with brown paper boards, without dust jackets. First edition. Fine. Vol. 1: 1474 - 2000, 816 pp. Vol. 2: Indexes. (69823) $ 50.00
57. Cox, Shelley.  Irish voices, 1880-1960, from the collections at Southern Illinois University. Carbondale, Special Collections, Morris Library, 1992. Green and white printed wrappers. Fine. First edition. 32 pp. Illustrated. (69841) $ 10.00
60. Ennis, Stephen.   "To set the darkness echoing", an exhibition of Irish literature, 1950-2000. Curated by Stephen Ennis, James O'Halloran, Ronald Schuchard. New York, The Grolier Club, 2002. Green paper wrappers. Fine. First edition. Illustrated. 59 pp. One of 500 copies. Design and typography by Jerry Kelly. (69839) $ 15.00
63. Kemp, Sandra.  Edwardian fiction, an Oxford companion [by] Sandra Kemp, Charlotte Mitchell, David Trotter. Oxford, New York, Oxford University Press, 1997. Black cloth. Fine in fine dust jacket. First edition. 431 pp. (69635) $ 15.00
64. Kersnowski, Frank L.   A bibliography of modern Irish and Anglo-Irish literature by Frank L. Kersnowski, C.W. Spinks, Laird Loomis. San Antonio, Trinity University Press . Brown cloth. Unevenly faded, otherwise fine, without dust jacket. First edition. 157 pp. Checklists in the humanities and education. (69831) $ 10.00
66. Mellown, Elgin W.  A descriptive catalogue of the bibliographies of Twentieth Century British poets, novelists and dramatists. Second edition, revised and enlarged. Troy, The Whitston Pub., Co., 1978. Blue cloth. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. 414 pp. One of 700 copies. (69827) $ 15.00
67. Moyles, R. G.  English-Canadian literature to 1900: a guide to information sources. Detroit, Gale Research Company . Blue and black cloth. Very good, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 346 pp. American Literature, English Literature, and World Literatures in English Information Guide Series, Vol. 6 (69881) $ 15.00
68. Pickles, J.D., comp.  New Cambridge bibliography of English literature, Volume 5, Index. Cambridge, At the University Press, 1977. Green buckram. Extremities and edges rubbed, otherwise very good in lightly rubbed dust jacket. First edition. 542 pp. (69821) $ 45.00
72. Temple, Ruth Z., comp.  Twentieth Century British literature, a reference guide and bibliography. With the assistance for the author bibliographies of Martin Tucker. New York, Frederick Ungar Publishing Co. . Gray cloth. Fine in rubbed dust jacket. First edition. 261 pp. (69636) $ 10.00
73. University of Delaware Library.  Irish women authors, an exhibition. Newark, 1994. Green printed wrappers. Fine. First edition. 41 pp. Illustrated. 139 items described. Notes and commentary by Bonnie Kime Scot, Timothy D. Murray, L. Rebecca Johnson Melvin. (69840) $ 10.00
74. Watson, George, ed.  New Cambridge bibliography of English literature, Volume 2 1660-1800. Cambridge, At the University Press, 1971 . Green buckram. Extremities lightly rubbed, otherwise very good in lightly rubbed dust jacket. First edition.  pp. (69818) $ 45.00
To place a secure shopping cart order, go to the SEARCH box in the left side-bar and enter the author or title.
send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.orgAll items are offered subject to prior sale.
or phone 301/718-7911
Terms of business:
Postage is billed at $5.00 for USPS Media Mail in the U.S.; otherwise postage is billed at cost.
Maryland residents are charged 6% sales tax.
Payment is by check with order, Paypal or major credit card. Libraries are billed as required.
Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt if unsatisfactory for any reason. Please notify us before returning the book.
Trade is by mail order only.
Last modified: March 31, 2016
Please address comments or questions to: email@example.com
Return to HomePage