Search Our Inventory
Who We Are
Terms of Business
We are members of :
Washington Antiquarian Booksellers Association (WABA)
A REFERENCE MISCELLANY:
1) GUIDES TO AUTHORS, BIBLIOGRAPHIES, AUCTIONS, BOOK HISTORY
2) LITERARY ERAS & MOVEMENTS, COLLECTORS & COLLECTIONS
GUIDES TO AUTHORS, BIBLIOGRAPHIES, AUCTIONS, BOOK HISTORY:
1. Balay, Robert, ed. Guide to reference books. Eleventh edition. Chicago and London, American Library Association, 1996. Blue cloth. Folio. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. 2020 pp. (69746) $ 150.00
2. Bédé, Jean-Albert, ed. Columbia dictionary of modern European literature. Second edition, fully revised and enlarged. Jean-Albert Bédé and William B. Edgerto, general editors. New York, Columbia University Press, 1980. Blue cloth. Folio. Corners lightly bumped, otherwise fine in rubbed dust jacket. 895 pp. (69866) $ 20.00
4. Bibliography of American literature. New Haven and London, Yale University Press [1955-] 1991. 10 Vols. Black cloth. Mixed editions. Backstrip of vol. 6 dull, otherwise a very good to fine set. Essential guide to the bibliography of 19th century American Literature. Volumes 8 and 9 edited and completed by Michael Winship. Together with the supplemental 10th volume, A Selective Index, compiled by Winship, Philip B. Epard and Rachel J. Howarth. (69917) $ 600.00
5. Boutell, Henry S. First editions of today and how to tell them, American, British and Irish. Fourth edition, revised and enlarged by Wanda Underhill. Berkeley, Peacock Press, 1965. Maroon cloth. Fine, without dust jacket. 227 pp. (69595) $ 25.00
8. Caldwell-Wood, Naomi, ed. Checklist of bibliographies appearing in the Bulletin of Bibliography 1897-1987. Edited by Naomi Caldwell-Wood and Patrick W. Wood. Westport, London, Meckler . Green cloth. Corners lightly bumped, otherwise fine, without dust jacket as issued. First edition. 144 pp. (69822) $ 45.00
11. Hawk, Pat. Hawk's author's pseudonyms for book collectors: a collector's reference of modern author's pseudonyms. [Southlake, Pat Hawk] 1992. Maroon cloth. Folio. Near fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 290 pp. Signed by the author on the title-page. (69790) $ 25.00
13. Howes, Wright, comp. U.S.iana (1650-1950): a selective bibliography in which are described 11,620 uncommon and significant books relating to the continental portion of the United States. Revised and enlarged edition. New York, R. R. Bowker . Brown cloth. Corners lightly bumped, otherwise fine, without dust jacket, as issued. Reprint. 652 pp. (69915) $ 25.00
16. Jordan, Casper LeRoy, comp. A bibliographical guide to African-American women writers. Westport, Connecticut, Greenwood Press . Original maroon cloth. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 387 pp. 714 authors listed, covering the period 1746 to 1988; a supplement updates entries to 1991. It documents materials from unindexed periodicals as well a bibliographies, books and indexes. (67773) $ 30.00
17. Kunitz, Stanley J., ed. Twentieth Century authors, a biographical dictionary of modern literature. Edited by Stanley J. Kunitz and Howard Haycraft. New York, H. W. Wilson Company . Green buckram. Fine, without dust jacket. Eighth printing. 1577 pp. Illustrated. (69655) $ 50.00
18. Kunitz, Stanley J., ed. Twentieth Century authors. First Supplement. A biographical dictionary of modern literature. Edited by Stanley J. Kunitz and Vinta Colby. New York, H. W. Wilson Company . Black buckram. Fine, without dust jacket. Fourth printing. 1123 pp. Illustrated. (69656) $ 45.00
20. Lock, Fred. Australian literature--a reference guide [by] Fred Lock and Alan Lawson. Melbourne, Oxford University Press . Green printed wrappers. Near fine. 84 pp. (69873) $ 10.00
21. Loh, Gerhard. Die europäischen Privatbibliotheken und Buchauktionen: ein Verzeichnis ihrer Kataloge. Band 1: 1555-1675. Leipzig, 1997. Green wrappers with brown cloth spine. Fine. First edition. 274 pp. Internationale Bibliographie der Antiquariats-, Auktions- und Kunstkataloge (IBAK). Sonderband 1 (69906) $ 50.00
22. Loh, Gerhard. Die europäischen Privatbibliotheken und Buchauktionen. Ein Verzeichnis ihrer Kataloge (einschliesslich der von Buchhändlern und Kunstauktionen). Band 2: 1676-1689. Leipzig, 2000. Grey stiff wrappers. Fine. First edition. 291 pp. Internationale Bibliographie der Antiquariats-, Auktions- und Kunstkataloge (IBAK). Sonderband 2 (69907) $ 50.00
26. Miller, Laura, ed. The Salon.com reader's guide to contemporary authors. Edited by Laura Miller with Adam Begley. [New York] Penguin Books . Illustrated white wrappers. Fine. First edition. 455 pp. Illustrated. (69852) $ 10.00
30. Notable American women, 1607-1950: a biographical dictionary. Editors: Edward T. James, Janet Wilson James, Paul S. Boyer. Cambridge, Belknap Press, 1975. 3 vols. Illustrated paper wrappers. Backstrips lightly soiled, otherwise fine, in soiled original publisher's slipcase. Fourth printing. Illustrated. An indispensible reference source. Volume 1: A-F, 687 pp. Volume II: G-O, 659 pp. Volume III P-Z, 729 pp. (69730) $ 25.00
33. Pollard, Alfred W. List of catalogues of English book sales 1676-1900 now in the British Museum. [Mansfield, CT, Maurizio Martino Publisher . Red cloth. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. Facsimile reprint. 523 pp. One of 100 copies. (69631) $ 75.00
41. Wilde, William H. The Oxford companion to Australian literature [by] William H. Wilde, Joy Hooton, Barry Andrews. Melbourne, Oxford University Press . Blue cloth. Fine in fine dust jacket. First edition. 760 pp. (69875) $ 20.00
LITERARY ERAS & MOVEMENTS, COLLECTORS & COLLECTIONS:
43. Barron,Stephanie, ed. The avant garde in Russia 1910-1930: new perspectives. Organized and edited by Stephanie Barron and Maurice Tuchman. Cambridge, MIT Press . Illustrated brown wrappers. Folio. Fine. First edition. 288 pp. Illustrated. An exhibition catalogue. (69857) $ 10.00
45. Bradley, Van Allen. The book collector's handbook of values, 1982-1983 edition. New York, G. P. Putnam's Sons . Green paper boards. Fine in near fine dust jacket. Fourth edition. 640 pp. Inscribed on the front endpaper "For William Matheson - / with thanks and / best wishes -- / Van Allen Bradley. (69697) $ 35.00
47. Canick, Michael, comp. A price guide to magic books: 1639-1990. [New York, Volcanick Press, 1997]. Printed gray wrappers in black plastic comb binding. Fine. Second printing. 192 pp. (69797) $ 35.00
48. Christie's. American and English modern literature from the Library of Mrs. Charles W. Engelhard. New York, 1995. Illustrated blue wrappers. Folio. Fine. First edition. 108 pp. Illustrated. 150 lots. Price list laid in. (69859) $ 10.00
49. Christie's, New York. Modern literature from the library of James Gilvarry, Friday, February 7, 1986. [New York, Christie's, 1986]. Illustrated paper wrappers. Fine. First edition. 214 pp. Illustrated. Prices realized inked in with list laid in. (69854) $ 25.00
55. Harris, Laurie Lanzen, ed. Twentieth-Century literary movements index. Helene Henderson, Associate editor. Detroit, Omnigraphics, Inc. . Glossy blue paper boards. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 419 pp. A guide to 500 literary movements, groups, schools, tendencies, and trends of the Twentieth Century, covering more than 3,000 novelists, poets, dramatists, essayists, artists, and other seminal thinkers from 80 countries as found in standard literary reference works. (69844) $ 45.00
56. Henderson, Helene, ed. Twentieth-Century literary movements dictionary. [Edited by] Helene Henderson and Jay P. Pederson. Detroit, Omnigraphics, Inc. . Glossy green paper boards. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 1037 pp. A compendium to more than 500 literary, critical, and theatrical movements, schools, and groups from more than 80 nations, covering the novelists, poets, short-story writers, dramatists, essayists, theorists, and works, genres, techniques, and terms associated with each movement. (69845) $ 75.00
61. Kaldewey, Gunnar A., Inc. German Romantics: rare and first editions. [New York, Gunnar A. Kaldewey, 1979]. Illustrated purple wrappers. Lightly rubbed. First edition.  pp. Illustrated. (69862) $ 20.00
62. Kim, Hyung-chan, ed. Asian American studies: an annotated bibliography and research guide. New York, Westport, Greenwood Press . Green cloth. Very good, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 504 pp. 3396 items described. (69883) $ 25.00
67. Necker, Claire. Four centuries of cat books, a bibliography, 1570-1970. Metuchen, N.J., The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1972. Green cloth. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 511 pp. (69912) $ 20.00
68. Reese, William (Company). First books and associated items. Part I: A through L. New Haven . Quarter blue cloth with brown tweed cloth boards. Fine, without dust jacket. First edition. Unpaginated. 685 items described. The firm's Catalog 42. Preface by Terry Halladay. Inscribed on the front endpaper by Halladay. (69708) $ 20.00
70. Seybolt, Paul S. A catalogue of the first editions of first books in the collection of Paul S. Seybolt. With an introduction by Carroll A. Wilson. Boston, 1946. Quarter black cloth with blue paper boards. Boards unevenly faded, Top of backstrip snagged, in tattered original glassine dust jacket. First edition. 79 pp. Illustrated. Typed card, signed, to R. S. Douglas from the author stapled to front endpaper. (69699) $ 35.00
71. Shep, Robert L. Cleaning, repairing and caring for books: a practical manual. [n.p.] Richard Joseph Publishers . Illustrated glossy paper boards. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. Reprint of the 1991 4th revised and enlarged edition. 148 pp. Illustrated. (69620) $ 15.00
72. Shiers, George, comp. Early television, a bibliographic guide to 1940. Assisted by May Shiers. New York and London, Garland Publishing, Inc., 1997. Gray cloth with gray paper boards. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 616 pp. Garland Reference Library of Social Science, Vol. 582 (69739) $ 65.00
74. Sotheby's. Catalogue of modern first editions, letters and manuscripts, the property of Anthony Hobson. London, 1996. White printed wrappers. Fine. First edition. 95 pp. Illustrated. 323 lots. Price list laid in. (69860) $ 10.00
75. Special collections in college and university libraries. Compiled by Modoc Press, Inc. With an introduction by Leona Rostenberg and Madeleine B. Stern. New York, Macmillan Publishing Company . Maroon coated paper boards. Fine in fine dust jacket. First edition. 639 pp. (69747) $ 25.00
To place a secure shopping cart order, go to the SEARCH box in the left side-bar and enter the author or title.
send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.orgAll items are offered subject to prior sale.
or phone 301/718-7911
Terms of business:
Postage is billed at $5.00 for USPS Media Mail in the U.S.; otherwise postage is billed at cost.
Maryland residents are charged 6% sales tax.
Payment is by check with order, Paypal or major credit card. Libraries are billed as required.
Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt if unsatisfactory for any reason. Please notify us before returning the book.
Trade is by mail order only.
Last modified: March 9, 2016
Please address comments or questions to: email@example.com
Return to HomePage